Selecting the Right Major
As an undeclared student, you have the opportunity to explore before declaring your major. Be sure to carefully consider all of your options and discuss them with your academic advisor. The Decision-Making Check-List below provides an outline of the steps you should take before making your selection.
1. Assess your talents and interests.
- What are you interested in – subjects, methods of study, questions of significance?
- What are your academic strengths and talents?
- What skills do you want to develop?
2. Explore all the options available. Generate a “long” list of potential majors based on your interests.
- Learn what majors are offered.
- Consult the Providence College Catalog
- Visit the Major Fair
3. Do some research on potential majors and narrow your choices to a “short” list.
- Take the necessary exploratory courses
- Determine what is required for the majors you’re interested in.
- Determine what departmental courses are required.
- Does the department require courses from other departments?
4. Utilize all the resources available.
- Undeclared Advisor
- Department Chair
- Students in the Major (especially successful seniors)
- Career Services
- Undeclared Advising Program Office
5. Use the navigational tools on this page to obtain additional information:
- Dean’s Office – for academic policies and procedures
- CyberFriar – for a degree audit to view your academic progress
6. Do some academic planning for the majors you’re interested in keeping in mind:
- Majors Requirements
- Department Requirements & Electives
- Additional Requirements for the Major
- PC Graduation Requirements
- General Degree Requirements
- Organization of Courses by Semester
- 4 courses each semester 1st & 2nd years
- 5 courses each semester 3rd & 4th years
- Total of 120 credits & 36 courses.
7. Make the appointments to discuss your choices before you declare your major.
- Appointments with Undeclared Advisor & Department Chair
- Review your plans with each of them
- Complete the Declaration of Major form with the required signatures: yours, Undeclared Advisor’s and the Department Chair’s
- Return your Declaration of Major form to the Undeclared Advising Office
Harkins 213, No appointment necessary